Camelford in North Cornwall
Camelford is a small market town approximately six miles from the coast. It
has several shops and some good places to eat and drink . Here can be
found the local leisure centre and library. Camelford is quite centrally
located for either the beach and the seaside or equally the moors and inner
North Cornwall, with its fabulous countryside.
There are various places to stay within this locality, from campsites to
quality hotels . Camelford is Close to Crowdy Reservoir ideal for you
windsurfers ...Roughtor...an extinct volcano? and Brown Willy (the highest
point in Cornwall) nestling on the edge of the moors.. again ideal for
walkers and explorers.
Enfield park has undergone quite extensive improvements.
Enfield Park affords lovely walks alongside a burbling river nestling in a
wooded valley then wends its way to Slaughterbridge where legend tells of
King Arthur's last battle with the wicked Mordred.
A view across Camelford
Camelford is a good place to base yourself if you wish to explore inner
North Cornwall .
St Clether is a small hamlet on the outskirts of Davidstow Moor
Camelford, formerly 'Cam Pol' which is Cornish for “curved river”, sits
astride the river Camel. At over 700ft above sea level Camelford is one of
the highest towns in England. The highest points above sea level, in the
whole of the county of Cornwall, can be found close by.
Camelford grew to become an important river crossing on the route from
Launceston, Cornwall’s former capital, to the market town of Wadebridge
and then, on ultimately to Falmouth.
As a result of its favoured position, the town's inns and businesses thrived
and the patronage of its MPs brought a lot of money into the town, which is
reflected in some very handsome buildings. The symbol of the camel, as
used on the Town Hall weather vane, is often used in connection with the
town of Camelford, but actually the name has nothing to do with camels.
The word Camelford is thought to derive from cam = crooked, alan =
beautiful and ford. Thus Camalanford, contracted in the course of time to
Camelford. The river Cam (which in Celtic means crooked stream) was
easily forded by early travellers. Records show that there has been a bridge
here since 1521.
Camelford became a free borough and an important centre of commerce
when Richard, Earl of Cornwall, granted a royal charter in 1259. Like
Bossiney, Edward VI bestowed on Camelford the right to send two
members to Parliament, a practice which continued until 1832, when the
Reform Bill abolished the two "rotten boroughs", of Camelford and Bossiney
Roughtor is the site of bronze age hut circles.
Saxon Chronicle refers to the Battle of Camelford, 823 AD
Video of The Road To Roughtor near Camelford.
Helsbury Castle is an iron age hill fort that stands on Michaelstow Beacon
(sometimes referred to as St. Syth’s beacon) approximately 684 feet above
sea level. Michaelstow village is about half of a mile south of the hill fort.
The remains of St Syth's chapel are marked by small rectangular enclosure
in the centre of Helsbury Castle and a couple of broken granite arch
remains still lie on the ground. The main inhabitants of the fort these days
are sheep and rabbits and the odd badger.
From here there is a magnificent 360 degree view across Cornwall to be
had. Camelford is the closest town to Helsbury Castle and Roughtor.