Egloskerry in North Cornwall

Egloskerry

Home  Accommodation  Attractions  Beaches  Images  Directory  Events  Services

Egloskerry in North Cornwall

Altarnun
Blisland
Bodmin
Booby's Bay
Boscastle
Bossiney
Bude
Camelford
Coads Green
Crackington Haven
Constantine Bay
Daymer Bay
Delabole
Egloskerry
Five Lanes
Harlyn Bay
Kilkhampton
Lanivet
Launceston
Lewannick
Marhamchurch
Nanstallon
North Hill
Padstow
Petherwin Gate
Polzeath
Port Isaac
Porthcothan Bay
Port Quin
Poughill
Poundstock
Rock
South Petherwin
St Breward
St Endellion
St Issey
St Juliot
St Kew
St Kew Highway
St Mabyn
St Merryn/Shop
Stoke Climsland
Stratton
St Teath
St Tudy
Tintagel
Trebarwith Strand
Trebetherick
Tredizzick
Tregadillet
Treknow
Trevone
Treyarnon
Venterdon
Wadebridge
Warbstow Cross
Week St Mary
Whitstone
Widemouth Bay

 

Churches in North Cornwall

 

Click here to see North Cornwall sunsets

Egloskerry is the Cornish name for 'Church of Keri'. This saint is believed to be female and along with St. Issey. St.Dilic, St. Endellion, St. Mabon and others she is said to be one of the 24 children of the Welsh King Broccan. Egloskerry parish church is dedicated to St Petrock & St Keri. The parish of Egloskerry, (Egloscruc), is about 5 miles south-west of Launceston and consists of the village of Egloskerry and many outlying hamlets and farms. Besides Churchtown, these include Tregeare, Badharlick, and Trebeath. Penheale Manor dates back to the Domesday Book of 1086, but the architecture of the house today is mainly 17th and 20th century. The estate still farms a considerable area of land.. It's northern boundary is by the river Attery which separates it  from the parish of North Petherwin, on the east by St Stephen-by-Launceston, and St Thomas-by-Launceston, on the south by Trewen and Laneast, and on the west by Laneast and Tresmere. The Anglican parish church was originally dedicated to St Ide and St Lydy on 14th September 1260 but was rededicated to St Keria in 1506. The church comprises a chancel, nave, south aisle, and north transept. The arcade has five four-centred arches of granite with monolith pillars. There is a south porch and a blocked north door. The tower, the door of which is dated 1691, is of three stages, and finished with battlements and pinnacles and stands 59 feet in height.  There was a non-conformist Wesleyan Methodist chapel in Churchtown. 'St. Keri's church'. River Kensey from Egloskerry to Launceston including Newport (Launceston) & Polson Bridge

Egloskerry   (Symons, 1884); Egloskeyre, c.1600; Egloskerry, 1884

Egloskeyre (*CRO, P167/5/1, c.1600); Egloskeyre, c.1600; Egloskerry, 1884

 

 

   

Looking for accommodation at Egloskerry in North Cornwall

CLICK HERE

If you have a business , service or facility / amenity that is in the boundaries of  North Cornwall

 and you would like to appear in our listings then please click here > Θ <

for further information regards this website visit us at

Kestrel Promotions

Copyright 1998-2007 Kestrel Promotions All Rights Reserved.  Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of the Kestrel User Agreement