Marhamchurch in North Cornwall

Marhamchurch

Home  Accommodation  Attractions  Beaches  Images  Directory  Events  Services

Marhamchurch in North Cornwall

Altarnun
Blisland
Bodmin
Booby's Bay
Boscastle
Bossiney
Bude
Camelford
Coads Green
Crackington Haven
Constantine Bay
Daymer Bay
Delabole
Egloskerry
Five Lanes
Harlyn Bay
Kilkhampton
Lanivet
Launceston
Lewannick
Marhamchurch
Nanstallon
North Hill
Padstow
Petherwin Gate
Polzeath
Port Isaac
Porthcothan Bay
Port Quin
Poughill
Poundstock
Rock
South Petherwin
St Breward
St Endellion
St Issey
St Juliot
St Kew
St Kew Highway
St Mabyn
St Merryn/Shop
Stoke Climsland
Stratton
St Teath
St Tudy
Tintagel
Trebarwith Strand
Trebetherick
Tredizzick
Tregadillet
Treknow
Trevone
Treyarnon
Venterdon
Wadebridge
Warbstow Cross
Week St Mary
Whitstone
Widemouth Bay

 

Churches in North Cornwall

 

Click here to see North Cornwall sunsets

Marhamchurch is a quiet and quaint village of thatched cob cottages that can be found one and a half miles inland from the coastal resort town of Bude, just off the A39 Atlantic Highway.

14th Century church of St Marwenna

 Near the end of the fifth century the Celtic Saint Marwen founded a hermitage as a monastic settlement and gave her name to the village. The 14th Century church of St Marwenna, with its magnificent old oak door and 'sanctuary knocker', can be found here. Saint Marwenne could be either one of the 24 children sired by King Broccan or she could be St Merwenn, the 10th century abbess of Romsey in Hampshire

National School 1873

The National School was erected in 1873.

The first village school was in a stone building by the Lych Gate of St Marwenne's Church, known has the "Church House". With regards its origins, no records have been found and nothing remains of this building now because in 1872, permission was given by the Charity Commissioners of the day, to take down the walls of the "Church House" and for these stones to be used in a new school building on a site opposite the church. Marhamchurch National School was opened in 1873 and the first recorded head teacher was a Mr Lidgely, who remained at the school until 1896. The local school is no longer located here.

The Bray Institute

 The Bray Institute is centrally located at the top of Pinch Hill. The institute is a well loved and much used building that seconds as the village hall.

The view below is inland from the graveyard at Marhamchurch.

Below are examples of some of the cob and thatched cottages that are in abundance in this neck of the woods. In fact Marhamchurch is so full of architectural heritage that is well worth visiting.

Pinch Hill. Bude lays one and a half miles down this road.  

  

   

Looking for accommodation at Marhamchurch in North Cornwall Click Here

If you have a business , service or facility / amenity that is in the boundaries of  North Cornwall

 and you would like to appear in our listings then please click here > Θ <

for further information regards this website visit us at

Kestrel Promotions

Copyright 1998-2008 Kestrel Promotions All Rights Reserved.  Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of the Kestrel User Agreement