St Mabyn is a hilltop village that is
reached by narrow lanes. It consists of old cottages gathered around
the village pub. St Mabyn is a very pretty village located on the edge of
Bodmin Moor about
3 miles east of the town of Wadebridge. Both the parish and village
are named after St Mabena. whom is female and supposedly one of 24
children of a 5th century Welsh King called Brychan Brycheiniog.
The St Mabyn parish church is Anglican and is
dedicated to Saint Mabena (474-550 AD). Saint Mabyn's day is
celebrated on 18th November. The tower of the church is seventy five
feet high and the belfry has a ring of eight bells that allow 5,030
changes to be rung. The earliest recorded Priest in charge was Roger
de Warlegan 1267.
The popular St Mabyn Inn dates from the 17th century, and began life
as a farmhouse, then became an alehouse, and still retains an old
world charm and excellent real ales.
St Mabyn's standing stone was broken up for
gateposts in 1850 and a piece was re-located to Longstone crossroad on
the western edge of Bodmin Moor where it now shares an area of ground
with the Penwine Cross.
For further information about St Mabyn