Week St Mary
Click here to see North Cornwall sunsets
Wadebridge (wyeth- ford) is a prosperous and
growing town on the banks of the river camel. It is an open and
friendly place with so much to see and do within the surrounding area.
The amenities at Wadebridge are excellent, with vast areas of open
land and beautiful riverside walks.
The Camel Trail
hub is here at Wadebridge and of course the Royal Cornwall Showground
which comes alive every June with the Royal Cornwall show. Wadebridge
grew up around an ancient 320ft bridge that was built in 1470. The bridge was
constructed by sinking woollen rafts to create a stable foundation to lay
the stone and used to have 17 arches but now only 14 are left.
The bridge was
paid for by the sheep farmers of the time and during the Civil War such was the
importance of the bridge that Oliver Cromwell personally, along with 1500
soldiers came to take the bridge. Wadebridge possesses a picturesque park and fantastic riverside walks. St Maybn lies in open
countryside approximately 4-5 miles from St
Kew Highway. St Breock church (St Breaca) lies on the south side
of the town. Here lie the bones of Jan Tregeagle (1679) , who's endless task was to empty
Dozmary Pool with a limpet
shell that had a hole in it.
The first week or so in June sees the Royal Cornwall Showground at Wadebridge
in a flurry of activity has the annual Royal Cornwall show takes place.
The showground at Wadebridge is also the venue for
Cornwall's largest antiques fair. August Bank Holiday weekend is
the time when Wadebridge comes alive to the
sound of music as it hosts the annual Cornish Folk Festival. There are many
little side streets to explore with unusual and interesting shops to poke around
in for that unique gift, and the usual assortment of banks, newsagents,
butchers, supermarkets, There are also many and various places to eat and drink in and around this
area. You can find many of the
cafes, restaurants and
in North Cornwall's Business Directory.
The Betjeman centre was formerly a railway station on the Wadebridge to Bodmin
line which now forms the cycle track way for the Camel Trail.
Egloshayle (eglos-church, hayle- estuary,) is a quaint village located on
the north side of the River Camel at Wadebridge, and you can be forgiven for
thinking that they are one and the same due to the total infill of properties
that has left the village slightly undefined. Egloshayle seems to merge into
Wadebridge. The 15th Century Church was originally dedicated to St Conan.
Egloshayle was one of the main landing places on the Ireland to America route,
after sailing up the estuary from Padstow. Egloshayle was the beginning of the
overland journey to South Cornwall and the Fowey Estuary. Most visitors just
pass by the church but in behind the church lies a beautifully well preserved
Cornish village. There is a small Victorian Village Hall, and an even smaller
village pub known as " The Earl of Vincent". Pretty whitewashed cottages and
Cornish slate walls are all part of the villages charm. The door to the West
Tower of the church, commemorates John Loveybond. The Vicar who paid for the
building of the bridge at Wade in 1468.
320 feet in length, originally with 17 Arches, it is [was] the longest in
because of the shifting sand, large bales of wool were sunk for the foundation
of the bridge, hence references to the Bridge on Wool, and a reminder of the
local source of wealth, sheep at that time.
The Bridge has twice been widened.
LOVEYBOND, the founder of Wadebridge's prosperity, is comemorated also by
Carvings on the 15th Cen pulpit, the whole church, in fact is grander than most
Villages can claim, at the time Egloshayle church was built, EGLOSHAYLE was a
trading Port rivalling PADSTOW which is 5 miles down river. trading in Tin,
Clay, Wool, Corn and other vegetable crops
The Priors of BODMIN had a busy quay here, Ironically, the building of the
caused a decline, for the ships could no longer come so far up the river,
new quays were built on the seaward side of the bridge, but to no avail,
and so the tidal estuary gradually silted up,
Egloshayle has gone from Bronze Age Settlement to
riverhead port, and decline to a rural village.
The parish church comprises a chancel, nave, south aisle (said to
be built by Thomas Vyvyan, prior of Bodmin), and a short north aisle
or transept. The south arcade has six pointed arches of granite, with
monolith pillars of the same material; the transept has two arches of
similar character. There are north and south porches, and a priest's
door. The tower, which is 80 feet in height, was built around 1490; it
is of three stages, buttressed on the square, and finished with
battlements and pinnacles. The church was in existence in 1258, and
evidence suggests there was a church here before the Norman conquest
of 1066. The 15th Century Church was originally dedicated to St Conan;
but is now dedicated to St Petroc. it sits beside the main road but
still retains its own distinctive character. The door to the west
tower of the church, commemorates John Loveybond, the Vicar who paid
for the building of the Bridge at Wade (bridge) in 1468, and because
of the shifting sand, large bales of wool were sunk for the foundation
of the bridge, hence references to the 'Bridge on Wool'. Loveybond, is
commemorated also by carvings on the 15th century pulpit; the church
is grander than that of most villages. There are two other Anglican
churches: one at Washaway, which is dedicated to St Conan and was
built in 1882. The other, dedicated to St Mary, is in Trevanion Road
in Wadebridge. The United Benefice of Egloshayle and St Breock was
created in 1984. It comprises these two churches plus their daughter
churches of St Conan's in washaway and St Mary's in Trevanion Road,
Further information can be sourced at: